Dalhousie members are privileged to play golf on three wonderful links golf courses. The Championship course is known the world over as one of the sternest tests in golf. While the other two courses, the Burnside and Buddon Links, may not be as famous as their illustrious neighbour, each offers a challenge to local and visiting golfer alike.
The Burnside started life in 1892 with the less than glorious name of "Auxiliary". As golf had become more popular in the late 19th century it had been decided to create this nine hole course to take pressure off the Championship Course. In 1914 the course was increased to 18 holes and by 1934 it was brought up to the standard of the main course and re-titled the Burnside. Although shorter than its bigger brother the Burnside is no less a test of golf. With smaller greens, the ever-present Barry Burn and just over six thousand yards it offers a strenuous examination of golfing skills.
In 1974 it was decided to replace the "six-holer", a little practice course where many a youngster ( as well as some not so young ) first swung a golf club in earnest, by creating a new eighteen hole course on the outside of the Championship Course. The decision had been taken to alleviate the pressure on the other two courses by creating a third.
The Buddon Links, as it was named, was originally designed by Peter Alliss and Dave Thomas but has been extensively altered since its opening by the Links Committee and John Philp, the Links Superintendent. The end result is a wonderful example of links golf measuring 5420 yards (with all the holes named after famous battles), as the course runs parallel to M.O.D. land where many of the armed forces have been trained over the years.